Saturday, January 09, 2010

Yay for baby orcas!

So those of you who know me, know that marine mammals are an important part of my life.  My uncle John and my good friend Victoria both work on the Island Caper, an orca watch boat out of Bellingham, WA. I've had the pleasure of taking the trip out 3 times and each time have been brought to tears by the majestic beauty of our backyard neigbors.



Island Mariner Cruises has their own spotter plane to find the orcas!

I also volunteer with a group of wonderful dedicated folks with the Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network, I subscribe to several orca newsletters including my favorite Orca Network and I cruise the internet regularly looking for marine mammal news! 
 

One of my shots from the whale watch.  For better photos visit the Orca Network
 
One interesting thing about our resident orcas is that they are distinctly different from the transient orcas, or killer whales, that feed on other marine mammals. Our local pods feed on a diet of salmon, they have their own distinct language and do not inter-breed with the transients. The orcas that you see in aquariums like SeaWorld, were captured and taken from our local waters. For more information on Orcas in captivity and other orca knowledge, check out the American Cetacean Society (ACS) webpage.

This year there's been a baby boom amongst the resident pods!  Here's an article in our local paper, The Bellingham Herald, discussing the theories as to why the increase in population may be occurring.  Whatever the reason I say, "YAY for baby orcas!".

On 2 of my 3 trips out orca watching, we had baby orcas that approached the boat.  They are so curious about the world around them!  I wish I had some better photos to share, but I was so enthralled when this happened that I just set the camera down and enjoyed the show. 


So happy after seeing the orcas!

I've said it before and I'll say it again because it is true......... I am truely blessed to live in the beautiful pacific northwest where the beauty of nature and wildlife is so close at hand.  For that I can live with the rain and many days of grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? I'd love to hear what you think!

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails