Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Beating My Basil Blues

I'm a green gardener.  I have a green thumb.  I can grow anything! Well truth be told, almost anything. 

For some reason I can't seem to grow basil?!?  I've tried from seed (nothing germinated).  I've tried from nice healthy starts from the nursery (they withered and died).  I've tried from starts from friends (they grew fine until I pinched some leaves to make pesto, then they just croaked!)  I'm almost ready to throw in the proverbial towel, but being determined and a bit stubborn, not to mention loving fresh basil, I'm going to give it one more try!

So this year I found a different type of basil to try.  It won't be the same in pesto, but if it will grow, I'll use it for something!  This basil is a Thai style basil.  It's called Purple Ruffles it looks gorgeous on the seed packet, but who knows what will happen once I get my hands on it.

Dear Basil, please grow in my garden!

I decided to try starting this indoors and then transplant it in the garden when (IF) it gets growing.  So I pulled out my seed packet and a peat pot jiffy start tray.  They say you can start anything in one of these.  We'll see if that's true. 

I soaked the jiffy pellets in water and they puffed up with their own built in opening for placing the seed.  Cool!  So I planted 1 seed in each pellet and added this tray to my sunny window. 

Maybe a little early season love will convince this basil to grow?

I'll keep you posted on the progress.  If anyone has suggestions on how to keep my basil plants healthy and growing, I'm really open for advice on this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? I'd love to hear what you think!

AddThis

Share |
Related Posts with Thumbnails